A friend asked regular adorers to summarize our thoughts on Eucharistic Adoration for our church bulletin. Here's mine: Before committing to a regular adoration slot I would stop in when struggling. Jesus lent a quiet ear. I’d pour out my worries and come away lighter. Eventually I felt drawn. Will you not stay awake one hour?
There’s countless ways to adore. I’m reminded of the farmer in St Vianney’s parish that would sit for hours before the monstrance. When asked what he was doing all that time he replied simply, “I look at Him and He looks at me.”
Though I have tried to employ this advice of less chatter and more gazing in wonder and awe, I frequently find my mind wandering into list making or studying the rug pattern. Once, I decided to combat this tendency by saying the name of Jesus to myself each time I began to wander away. Eventually I was repeating His name over and over in rapid succession when I was interrupted by an amused and kindly presence. Jesus said to my heart, “Stop saying My name so that you can hear Me say yours.”
There is nothing lovelier than hearing our name from the very lips of our beloved.
Go to Him. He waits for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment